Class 125 DMU

For our late 1960s period, we have unearthed an eyewitness account to the effect that the class 125 DMU (Derby/Rolls Royce), which operated the Lea Valley lines until electrification in 1969, ran North Woolwich to Broxbourne services after the end of the North Woolwich to Palace Gates services (which were withdrawn in January 1963).

I have obtained a Silver Fox Models class 125:

Silver Fox Class 125 DMU

I have converted it to EM gauge and DCC fitted it. It can be seen running on the test tracks after conversion and fitting here (and also after removal of the front and rear tension lock couplings):

However, more work is required. The base model has no working headlights, is not weathered, has an interior layout that is not correct and is unpainted, has no passenger figures and lacks no smoking signs in the appropriate places.

I have added the no smoking signs in the correct places by reference to the works diagrams on the Railcar website:

BR Class 125 DMU

The next job is fitting working lights. This required drilling out the place where the lights should be fitted and adding DCC Concepts bicolour red/white 2mm LEDs, which fit in the resulting holes, and connecting them to the decoder. Here is the front before:

Silver Fox Class 125 DMU

And here it is after:

BR Class 125 DMU BR Class 125 DMU

(Note that the opposite end cab is shown here).

So far, I have only done the DMBS (where the decoder and motor are located). I still need to fit the DMS at the other end with lights: to do this, I will need to run the power through the train using electrical sockets and plugs, which I will also use to carry track power through the train to improve reliability (I have already fitted a stay-alive, albeit using the fairly basic electrolytic capacitors, of which I have a large number spare).

Aside from the head/tail lights in the DMS and electrical connexions to facilitate it, yet to complete are buffer beam detailing, interior detailing and painting, adding passengers and weathering.

For comparison, incidentally, here is one of Tom's class 125 DMUs on Minories. This is not a Silver Fox model, but appears to be converted from a Lima class 117:

Class 125 at Minories

Edited by jamespetts

• 2 weeks later...

A nice unit already, and good to see it's receiving a bit more detailing and some corrections here and there. On that point, what's the story of the 'Woolwich North' destination -- I know there was a reason for the reversal of the words that appear on the station nameboard?

44 minutes ago, BenWeiner said:

A nice unit already, and good to see it's receiving a bit more detailing and some corrections here and there. On that point, what's the story of the 'Woolwich North' destination -- I know there was a reason for the reversal of the words that appear on the station nameboard?

Yes - the people at Silver Fox misinterpreted what I wrote, I think.

Some progress. First of all, I have finished fitting lights to both ends and through-wiring the train:

I have also painted the seats in the driving motors a sandy colour to match their appearance in a photograph from Flickr dated 1969:

c.1969 - London (Kings Cross).

I have yet to repaint the seats in the trailer car. I have also added no smoking partitions as can be seen in the DMS here:

BR class 125

Yet to be done are painting the seats in the trailer, improving the closeness of the couplings, adding buffer beam detailing, adding passengers and weathering.

• 4 weeks later...

More progress on this: I have completed painting the interior of the inner carriage:

BR class 125

I have also reduced the gap between the carriages by sticking the couplings at one end

BR class 125

BR class 125

Work yet to complete includes weathering and detailing the front buffer beams, as well as fitting people. However, this is serviceable now and could run on the layout as it is.

BR class 125

On 7/13/2024 at 11:29 PM, jamespetts said:

For our late 1960s period, we have unearthed an eyewitness account to the effect that the class 125 DMU (Derby/Rolls Royce), which operated the Lea Valley lines until electrification in 1969, ran North Woolwich to Broxbourne services after the end of the North Woolwich to Palace Gates services (which were withdrawn in January 1963).

I have obtained a Silver Fox Models class 125:

Silver Fox Class 125 DMU

I have converted it to EM gauge and DCC fitted it. It can be seen running on the test tracks after conversion and fitting here (and also after removal of the front and rear tension lock couplings):

However, more work is required. The base model has no working headlights, is not weathered, has an interior layout that is not correct and is unpainted, has no passenger figures and lacks no smoking signs in the appropriate places.

I have added the no smoking signs in the correct places by reference to the works diagrams on the Railcar website:

BR Class 125 DMU

The next job is fitting working lights. This required drilling out the place where the lights should be fitted and adding DCC Concepts bicolour red/white 2mm LEDs, which fit in the resulting holes, and connecting them to the decoder. Here is the front before:

Silver Fox Class 125 DMU

And here it is after:

BR Class 125 DMU BR Class 125 DMU

(Note that the opposite end cab is shown here).

So far, I have only done the DMBS (where the decoder and motor are located). I still need to fit the DMS at the other end with lights: to do this, I will need to run the power through the train using electrical sockets and plugs, which I will also use to carry track power through the train to improve reliability (I have already fitted a stay-alive, albeit using the fairly basic electrolytic capacitors, of which I have a large number spare).

Aside from the head/tail lights in the DMS and electrical connexions to facilitate it, yet to complete are buffer beam detailing, interior detailing and painting, adding passengers and weathering.

For comparison, incidentally, here is one of Tom's class 125 DMUs on Minories. This is not a Silver Fox model, but appears to be converted from a Lima class 117:

Class 125 at Minories

It is indeed ex Lima  -converted using the same technique described here, except with SE Finecast flush glazing.

Class 127 DMU - The Model Railway Club

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TomC said:

It is indeed ex Lima  -converted using the same technique described here, except with SE Finecast flush glazing.

Class 127 DMU - The Model Railway Club

Interesting! Did you ever get around to detailing the buffer beams in the end? I should be interested in what you used if so.

Incidentally, the Midland DMUs on the widened lines were four car class 116s, formed by making three three car sets into two four car sets with a spare trailer:

Before Thameslink

Before Thameslink

City Widened Lines 27-10-76

On 8/25/2024 at 1:25 PM, jamespetts said:

I should be interested in what you used if so.

Not yet - but I have some Westhill  3D printed pieces to add when I get there.

On 8/25/2024 at 1:25 PM, jamespetts said:

four car class 116s, formed by making three three car sets into two four car sets with a spare trailer

Indeed - and there is now an extra driving car to provide exactly the formation shown in the lower picture. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TomC said:

Not yet - but I have some Westhill  3D printed pieces to add when I get there.

Indeed - and there is now an extra driving car to provide exactly the formation shown in the lower picture. 

Excellent! I shall look forward to seeing this.